Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Reenlistment

It's that time again. It was time for us to decide whether to stay a military family or move on to civilian pastures. To be honest, there wasn't much discussion. We love the military life and really don't see any greener pastures in the civilian fields. This reenlistment was a little different as for once the manchild was actually in Garrison(home) and the kids and I were able to get to go watch. The kids and I all dressed up in the same sweatshirts, Go CRTs! and I pulled them out of school to watch. When we got there the formation was already formed and the manchild had the kiddos head to the back to be out of the way but being good military children they formed right up at the back of the formation. Squad Cummins reporting for duty!
While the kiddos were forming up there was preparation being made as the manchild wasn't the only one reenlisting and contrary to what I believed it was decided that not only would we get to watch this reenlistment, we were going to participate as well. The manchild's choice of location was on top of a Stryker and can I just say that there are no elevators to the top of one of those, nor nice little steps. The manchild hoisted the younger children onto the vehicles and then turned to me. When I asked how the Soldiers got on top of the vehicles his reply was "We jump like this." and then preceeded to hop the distance to the top of the Stryker. AHAHAHAHAHAH, yea that ain't gonna happen, I am 5"3' on a good day(stop laughing manchild). So we went with Plan B and he and another Soldier gave me footholds to help elevate me. Once up there I about had a heart attack watching the Soldiers help my two oldest on top of the turret, I ended up not watching(the formation thought this was pretty funny :(  ) Then we were finally able to proceed with the ceremony. It was quite amazing to listen to the oath and what my husband was promising to do. In those few minutes he promised to defend the constitution from not only foreign enemies but from those that are within and to follow the orders from his superior officers and the President, and this oath is sealed  by a promise "So help me God" Don't get me wrong I know what my husband does for a living but listening to the oath helped reenforce why he does what he does!
Alright enough of the mush!





So after the Soldier's portion was done, the Chief asked me to come forward and gave me an certificate of appreciation for dealing with my manchild everyday! JK, it was a certificate but not for dealing with the manchild(although some days I deserve one), this certificate was actually for supporting the manchild in his military mission whether that included deployments, training exercises, schools, long hours, multiple PCS(moves) or just dealing with the craziness that happens while they are in Garrison. To me, it's my life so I don't need a certificate for it but it was nice to hear that what I do is appreciated.

And finally the manchild was able to give his speech.
I hope that by seeing this ceremony the children will have a little bit more understanding why Daddy is gone all the time and that they understand not only how important he is but how important they are to this family's future.

No comments: